Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Secondary Navigation

Main page Content

Catchment area

What you need to know

  • Thornlands State School prime obligation is the provision of quality education to students who live in the school’s catchment area.
  • Because of enrolment growth, and the capacity of our buildings, it is necessary to restrict enrolments from out of catchment to ensure in-catchment students are able to enrol in the future.
  • The school’s catchment map is available to be viewed at either the school’s administration office or online
  • Parents or guardians who wish to enrol children at Thornlands State School will need to provide proof of residency by way of one of the following:
    1. One primary source- a current lease agreement, or rates notice, or unconditional sale agreement AND
    2. One secondary source- a utility bill (eg water, electricity, gas) showing the same address and parent/legal guardian’s name
  • The Principal may request further sources of proof and/or a Statutory Declaration if deemed necessary.

Out-of-catchment applications for enrolment

  • Thornlands State School can only enrol out-of-catchment students if there is sufficient spare capacity after reserving places for students who move into the catchment during the year.
  • Out-of-catchment applications for enrolement will be placed on a waiting list in order of receipt, by date and time
  • These applications remain current only for the year in which they are applying to enrol.
  • The Principal is responsible for all decisions on enrolment. If the Principal forms a preliminary view that an application will not succeed, applicants will be notified in writing. Applicants may respond with a submission, no later than 7 days after receiving this preliminary letter. If a submission is received, the Principal will consider the submission and make a final decision. A final decision notice will be provided to parents as soon as practicable. There is no internal review of the Principal’s decision.


Please note: Siblings of current students and children of staff are entitled to be enrolled even through they may reside outside the catchment area